Memory loss is one of the downers of getting older. If life were fair, more rich experiences would mean more rich memories. But, of course, the brain ages too, and its ability to retain and relish often wanes.There are, however, some great natural ways to bolster your brain’s ability to remember. Here they are:
- Eat Regularly – The brain is only 2-3 percent of the body’s weight, but takes up 20 percent of its energy, so giving it the fuel it needs helps it function optimally.
- Super Foods – Spinach, strawberries and blueberries are called “super foods” because they strengthen the brain. Eat lots of them.
- Drink Hot Beverages – Tea and coffee stimulate the brain and help it access memories more effectively.
- Avoid Alcohol – Like it or not, booze is bad for the brain’s memory banks.
- Take Vitamins – A good regimen of supplements, especially folic acid, will help you remember better.
- Herbalize – A variety of herbs, such as gingko biloba, have been shown to help improve memory retention.
- Stress Less – Trying to alleviate stress in your life, through relaxation or meditation, helps your brain retain.
- Play More Games – Mental games, like crossword puzzles and Sudoku, sharpen your faculties.
- Exercise – Many reasons to do this, one of which is it keeps your brain healthy.
- Get Regular Sleep – Getting your slumbers on a regular schedule is good for your noggin.